Flash Required to view this area.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day Dad!

Today is Father's Day. It's the day we celebrate our dads. I have the best dad in the world. Seriously. I am so thankful that God gave me the dad he did. My dad is the kind of dad that every kid should get... If the world was perfect. In honor of this father's day, I wanted to share one of my memories of my dad.

When I was young... probably about 7 or 8. Maybe 10. My dad used to get up EARLY (like 5am) and go to the local YMCA to work out and play basketball (it was a small town). I was into basketball, and starting to play on competitive teams for kids. So one day, I asked if I could go with my dad to play in the morning. To my surprise, he said yes. So we went. And we played. And he did NOT go easy on me AT ALL. I don't think I scored one point that day. I'm not even sure I held the ball long enough to attempt to score a point. But that day taught me so much. And to this day, I hate when people take it easy on me. It also started many early mornings of playing basketball with my dad. And that spread to other activities. I am thankful that I was an only child and I got all of my dad's attention. I am thankful that I didn't have a brother that got to do all the "boy" stuff. I am thankful that my dad included me. Because of that, I am thankful to call my dad friend.


Thank you dad, for telling me jokes.
Thank you for making me laugh.

Thank you for always making me a priority,
Thank you for taking my phone calls during meetings, even when they were insignificant.

Thank you for tolerating all of the random animals I brought home...
Thank you for letting me keep a kitty cat outside... even though you were allergic.

Thank you for making me go to church, even when I didn't want to...
Thank you for teaching me that loving God is about more than just going to church.

Thank you for playing with me..
Thank you for pretending to like my dolls and my little ponies.


Thank you for passing on to me your love of sports, motorcycle riding, scuba diving, and all of the other fun things we like to do together.

Thank you for teaching me how to be competitive, without being mean.
Thank you for never going easy on me.

Thank you for loving me despite my weaknesses, and mistakes.
Thank you for always giving me a second chance.

Thank you for being my dad first, and my friend second...
And thank you for making such a big effort to be both.

I love you dad!
You are the best.
Happy Father's Day!

No comments: