Flash Required to view this area.

Monday, June 7, 2010

A vacation from blogging... and from California

I think I set a new record.
I think this may be the very longest time I have ever gone without blogging.
It's been more than a week.
I thought it was time I fill you in on my life and why I've been absent :)

Remember Javier?
Did I mention that he is in the Army Reserves?
Well he is. And he is about to deploy and go overseas for a year.
Yes, a year.
I am so proud of this man, for giving up a year of his freedom to fight for mine...
But I am going to miss him.
SO MUCH.

So I've taken the last 2 weeks to really soak up the time with him and make memories.
Because now he's gone. He'll be training out of state all summer, and then in a few months he'll be leaving for a whole year.

As much as I love to blog... and I love to write, and update with photos and funny stories, and little random things about life and love... sometimes real life gets in the way. And by gets in the way, I mean it takes priority. This was one of those times. Javi was my priority... spending time with him was so important. Because my blog will be here for the next year and a half... Javier won't be.

Hug your families. Tell the people you love that you love them. Take a day off. Relax. Soak up life and enjoy things the way they are RIGHT NOW, because tomorrow doesn't always go the way we originally planned. Sometimes that means saying good-bye... or see you later.


This weekend I flew out to Texas with him for an Army Yellow Ribbon Ceremony. The Army sent Soldiers who are about to deploy and family members out to Texas for a day of information. Lots of information.

It was a long day, and a lot of information, but I was glad to be there to support Javier and to be a little more well informed of what is going to happen over this time. Here are a few shots from my time here in Texas.

The Military USO at the airport is the coolest idea. Ever.

Photobucket

I'm amazed at the amount of bags they carry. I could hardly pick up just the back pack!
Photobucket

Photobucket
Our flight got in at an odd time, so we waited in the airport for the shuttle for probably about 3 hours. We were with a few other guys, including the Sergent in charge who told us all kinds of crazy stories. It was definitely interesting.
Photobucket
As we were waiting, one of the guys noticed David Robinson from the San Antonio Spurs. So of course we took pictures with him! He was so nice and let us all take a picture.
Photobucket
Nothing like a 7 foot 1 inch tall man to make you feel short...
Photobucket
Army life.
Photobucket
A group of us was walking back from lunch. All of the guys had their uniforms on. We walked past a family sitting on a bench (see below, bottom right). The lady that was in the group came walking up to us with her little boy (pictured) walking behind her. She said, "Excuse me, but my son wanted me to ask you if you are real soldiers." At this, the little boy began to jump up and down and clap his hands. Javier replied with "Yes we sure are!" and the little boy got even more excited. He shook each of their hands, and as we began to walk away, I heard him saying to his mom, "I knew it! I knew they were soldiers!" It was so cool to see them impact that little boy's day! I bet he'll be a soldier himself one day!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Formation was done in the parking garage of the hotel where the meetings were held.
Photobucket
Love this shot.
Photobucket
My hair was nice and curled before we walked outside... but it was so humid that nothing lasted long out there! I couldn't believe how humid it was!
Photobucket
The Riverwalk in San Antonio. One of the coolest places. Ever.
Photobucket

Photobucket
I adore this picture of Javi. It was really dark outside, but I like the grain and I just like it. I don't know why. I just do. So here it is :)
Photobucket

Photobucket
He loves me :)
Photobucket

I'm in El Paso now, visiting my cousin Holly. I'll be here until Friday, so I have a little more limited access to the internet than usual. So I'll be back to blogging, but it will probably still be light the rest of the week! And I am out of the office, so if you have tried to reach me and haven't heard back yet, I will be catching up on emails and everything as soon as I'm back!


5 comments:

Damaris Mia said...

This post got me a little teary-eyed because I have a brother who recently got deployed from Germany to Afghanistan. Boy, it's tough but we need to be strong.. at least for them. God Bless!

Cindy A. said...

What a great post, a great reminder to pray for our men & women in uniform, and of course, great pictures!

Bianca said...

Yay! You're back to blogging. Sometimes I feel like this is the only way I know you're alive?! Hahahaha!

xoxo

Evelyn Perez said...

Great pictures!!! You brought back so many memories of when my husband was in Basic and AIT. Thank you so much for this post and pictures. I love my man in his uniform. I will be attending his yellow ribbon ceremony in a few months. Girl, you are going to do awesome!! I can't wait to see how far you/business grow in the next year that Javi is gone :) Thank you Javi for serving and thank you Diandra for sticking by his side.

JennB said...

Stumbled along your blog and got sucked in by your awesome pics. This post, however touch me deep. Having a brother and a few good friends' husbands get deployed recently, I know the feeling somewhat. It's a tough job, having your man out there. you're a good woman to support him. Lots of prayers going out to you guys.