Flash Required to view this area.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Happy Birthday Dad!

In honor of my dad's birthday today, I wanted to share a couple of my favorite childhood pictures/memories.

I really have the best dad in the world. He has done such a great job of working a crazy more than full time job (he's a pastor) and still keeping a fantastic relationship with me and my mom. He never missed an important event and took lots of time to hang out with me and do fun things.

Oh the beach. Growing up in Oregon, going to the beach was a very special occasion (well until we moved to the coast later on). I remember many vacations being bundled up because the wind was blowing (the joys of Oregon!). My dad was a trooper. No matter how cold it was, he was always willing to wade into the waves with me, fly a kite, or build a sand castle. I loved those times with my dad. There was something about the beach that was just special. I loved those times growing up. Looking back, I appreciate his willingness to play with me and have fun with me, even when I was young.
Lounging around. My dad was never too busy for me. He always had time to listen to my latest joke (Me: knock knock Dad: who's there? Me: silly putty Dad: silly putty who? Me: I love peanut butter! *followed by hilarious laughter from me, and I'm sure a giggle or two from my dad). He was always ready to read me a book, or play games. But some of my favorite memories are just being included in his daily activities. The picture below he was relaxing and listening to the stereo (check out the big headphones... no ipods back then!)
This is one of the most vivid memories of my childhood. We were on vacation and my dad had been scuba diving. I was bummed out to be left behind (I didn't get certified until I was 15) but my dad brought back a starfish for me. He pulled it out and it was still alive. We got to watch the starfish and I was hooked. I remember that moment as being the time I decided one day I would learn to scuba dive. Now that is something I've had the amazing privilege of doing with my dad.
That dream came to fruition a few years ago when I was able to take a trip to Australia with my dad and scuba dive the Great Barrier Reef! That trip is another of my favorite memories with my dad.
Dad, thanks for always making me feel special.
Thank you for never being too busy for me, and for loving me unconditionally.
Thank you for supporting me, having fun with me and loving me.
Thank you for being my friend.
I love you!
Happy Birthday.

1 comment:

Mary Marantz said...

LOVE this post!! Hug him extra tight!