Flash Required to view this area.

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Mexico

If you've never been to Mexico... you should really think about it. I'm not talking Cabo, Puerto Vallerta, or someplace like that... I'm talking Tecate. So maybe it's not the best vacation spot, but it can change your life.

Several months ago, our church's spanish ministry took clothes down to Tecate and I was fortunate enough to go with them. I'd never been to Mexico before, and it was an incredible trip. We only went for the day (living just a few hours away, we can leave early in the morning, go down for the day and be back late at night). It was so hard to see the poverty the people live in. I mean literally, card board boxes in a washed out river. But to be able to help them and see their faces light up... it was incredible. Last month we went again, this time with blankets because it gets incredibly cold in the winter. Again, it was a WONDERFUL trip. A week from today, we're headed down again, this time to take toys to the little kids... some of these kids have never had a toy at all! I cant wait to see the looks on their faces! Here are some pictures from the last trip... I'll be sure to post again when we get back next weekend!

This photo is the only one on this entry that I did not take. But this is me with one of the adorable little girls. We gave the kids gloves, and they just didn't know what to do with them. So this is me trying to help her put them on. But I don't speak very good Spanish, so I was showing her what to do with her hand.

Some of the boys playing soccer with the kids... they were so excited that we brought soccer balls!
This is one of my favorite pictures from the whole trip... I love the sky and the skyline and the people to the side with the teens praying in the middle. This is what it is all about.
Some of the "houses" on the side of the riverbank... the place we were at was called the River Invasion because people literally invaded an empty ri
This little girl was gorgeous! And she had a beautiful smile, but she was so shy! I asked her if I could take her picture, and she got so excited when she realized she could see the photo!
This is another little girl that we gave a toy to. This is another of my favorites from the trip... I love the contrast between her bright clothes and hat (which we also gave her) and the dreary landscape.
This little boy kept posing for me! And when he realized you could see the photos, he started grabbing his friends and posing with them too! I love that he still has the little tag on top of his new hat! So cute!
These little kids were so fun. They kept running around to watch the guy on the horse (who was actually herding cattle!) They just got such a kick out of watching that horse!
The sky was INCREDIBLE! The cross that you see is on top of the church that we happened across while we were down there. We've been going back and helping out with it since!

No comments: